( General )
Course : 404
( Indian banking system )
Full Marks : 80
Pass marks : 32
Time : 3 hours
The figures in the margin indicate full marks for the questions.
1. Write true or false : 1x4=4
a) Overdraft facility is regularly granted by bank.
b) Punjab National Bank was nationalized in the year 1980.
c) Underwriting is a primary function of capital market.
d) Factoring is a method of raising long-term finance.
2. Answer the following questions : 1x4=4
a) What was the previous name of the State Bank of India?
b) In which year ‘social control over banks’ was imposed?
c) Name one private sector bank.
d) Write the full form of NDTL.
3. Write short notes on (any four) : 4x4=16
a) Scheduled Bank
b) Cooperative Bank
c) Retail Banking
e) Listing of securities
4. (a) What do you understand by Regional Rural Bank? Discuss its characteristics. 3+8=11
(b) Discuss about the organization and management of Reserve Bank of India. 5+6=11
5. (a) Explain the merits and demerits of unit banking. 6+6=12
(b) Distinguish between :
(i) Unit and Branch Banking.
(ii) Universal and Regional Banking.
6. (a) Explain the major achievements of nationalized banks. 11
(b) Write an explanatory note on ‘investment policy of Indian commercial banks’. 11
7. (a) Discuss the various money market instruments. 11
(b) What is capital market? How does capital market help in economic development of a country? 4+7=11
8. (a) Discuss about the modern services provided by bank through internet banking. 11
(b) What do you mean by core banking? Discuss its advantages. 4+7=11